Monday, March 12, 2012

Summer Pool Workout

     It's another hot summer day and I'm looking for a place to break a sweat without the risk of a heat stroke. Running is definitely out of the question but I really need to burn those extra calories. The local village swimming pool is off limits (some party is being held there at the moment) so Rey suggested we head to Philippine Sports Complex (PhilSports Complex, formerly known as Ultra) and do our summer pool workout there.

     I developed a knack for swimming way back in college. It was my last year in the university and I still need to finish 3 more units of P.E. class. Choosing between volleyball and swimming, I chose the latter. I love water and being a Pisces, it hurts my ego knowing I could not even go beyond the shore to enjoy the water without the fear of drowning. It's very embarrassing at my age back then because everyone in the family practically moves like a mermaid whenever they get near any body of water and I'm... well I look like a drowning kitty next to them, so to say. I earnestly learned any lesson there has to be learned and practiced during every spare time I had. After graduating that semester, I never looked at the water the same way again and the rest was history.
Outrageous Orange Monster!

     Because of my love for water and the sport, I began teaching others for free, my boyfriend being one of them and now my greatest opponent. A good student always surpasses his master's skills so I'm OK with that. That would only mean I'm a good teacher, yeah? :)

     If you really love to swim but can't get out of the city because of work or because you are really short on budget, there are many public pools around Manila where you can splash around. (I will mention a list of public pools on separate post) Here at Ultra Pool, entrance fee is only PhP 60.00. They are closed on Mondays for cleaning. Best days to swim is every Tuesday (cleanest day) and Sunday where there are only few swimmers to bump to.

Let's always stay fit and healthy, fabulous and happy! Swim away those calories!


Ultra Pool

University of Life / Philippine Sports Commission - Ultra Pool
Augustin 1 Building, Meralco Ave., Pasig City
(02) 635-0102

Pool Details
Amenities: Showers, Locker Rooms
Activities Offered: Lap Swimming
Admission/Rates: Visitors (adult): PHP 60 (as of March 2012)
Additional Scheduling Information: Except for holidays and special events, hours are 8 A.M. - 5 P.M. Tuesday through Sunday, with a break from noon to 1 P.M.
Diving plank

Pool Specifications
Indoor/Outdoor: Outdoor 
Pool Length: 50 Meters
Pool Width: 20 Meters
Pool Depth: 4-8 feet
Lanes: 10 
Heated/Unheated: Unheated
Chlorine-Free: Yes


No comments:

Post a Comment